Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Salvage



The insurance company did indeed swing into action.
This shows the airbags and the white pump hoses on
deck on Sunday.  The pump out began and the vessel raised.
Monitored overnight by one of the salvage crew who lives at a nearby marina, the boat stayed dry indicating there was no breach of the hull.
The insurance company, surveyor and salvage crew have done a great job, quickly.  I've been kept
informed by everyone about what has taken place.

Below you can see how she looked yesterday...newly painted cabin sides glistening white, sail cover in place, basically as I left her.  Assessment is supposed to be later today, and I plan to be there next Sunday.  What doesn't show is the condition of the Perkins, air conditioner, radar and other electronics,  reefer, etc. plus all the goodies I had below...tool sets, power tools, even stuff like foulies, kitchen utensils and the myriad of things accumulated by the previous owners for voyaging.    I don't know how we'll come out of this, but I'm still better off than those who lost homes and businesses.

4 comments:

  1. Glad things are moving along. I still get a pit in my stomach just reading about it. I can't imagine what you are feeling. But it appears it will take more than a hurricane to keep Delta Belle down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am I feeling?? Good question. Loss of time and cancelled cruising plans are biggest issue. Now the issue is how we move on, and that's all part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's incredible that they can raise the boat up like that! good thing it wasn't in a 90 foot lake.

    The bayou water is more fresh than salt I think. Hopefully they can flush everything out...

    Keep us updated and let us know if you need any help or want to get together when you are here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like she did sink like a Lady Skip. I am curious as to the cause, if as you mentioned they pumped her out and then watched her for 24hrs and no water came in. I'm glad she doesn't appear to have bashed about, I've had visions of major damage, since most photos I see of hurricane boats are pretty bad.

    But keep the faith Skip. She will sail once again. A lot of the stuff you mentioned can be saved if handled properly right away. I'm pretty sure the salvors will be working to that end right off the bat, trying to keep costs down.

    ReplyDelete