Thursday, August 30, 2012

Revenge of Isaac

Maybe I was too smug.  Maybe everything seemed to be going too well.  Or maybe it's just fate.

I got a call this morning from the owner of the marina where DELTA BELLE is lying.  A local liveaboard had just notified him that the boat in slip 16, a boat with a wind generator, had sunk.  Only the wind generator was above water (and I'm assuming the mast, too).

I got one of those shocky type reactions...took a few deep breaths to settle down, and called BoatUS, my insurance company.  That was an hour and twenty minutes ago.  During that time...
Information was collected in the claims dept, (how many lines did I have, color of boat, slip no., and importantly, how the cabin was locked, what of value was below etc.) and I was transferred to an adjuster
More information provided, including name of yard where I would like DELTA BELLE transferred.
Brief explanation by Boat US about what would take place.  (air bags and pumps...towing to yard)
Put on hold while Boat US contacted local Tow Boat US.  Turns out owner of that firm had his boats out of the water until wind abates, and local law enforcement allows boats up the bayou to the marina.  He himself was in a kayak on the bayou surveying other damage, and will call me when he's assessed situation and actual process of salvage starts.

How do you quantify the value of hundreds of paper charts, radar, gps, SSB, documents, tools, custom berth cushions, air conditioner, reefer unit, etc. etc.  It's all rushing around in my thoughts.  My monitor windvane can take immersion, but what about the Perkins?

So far, things are proceeding apace, other than my mind racing over what could come next...salvage, restoration, time lost, plans awry, etc. But...no life was lost.  I wasn't aboard at sea when this happened.
And hopefully, DELTA BELLE did this on her own and didn't impact my neighbors.

I notified wife, son and mother...and now am blogging to any interested parties about this.

Marina owner said that electricity in the area is still off, but that winds have died down.
A few gas stations with electricity are open, but that as there was a "run" on gas before the storms, finding some is still a bit sketchy.

Right now my emotions are kind of strange, not having gone through a boat sinking...particularly when a good part of my future plans were tied to DELTA BELLE.  Maybe they still are.  The emotions and the plans.  As the blanks are filled in I'll post the information.  In the scheme of things, I (we) are very, very fortunate.

3 comments:

  1. Still upset about this Skip. If there is anything I can do, or if you just need some boots on the ground for the salvage stuff, let me know.

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tate....
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate just knowing you guys are there. Right now I've been in touch with surveyor and salvage outfit. Don't know what the outcome will be, but I'm developing a plan. I still intend to make my trip to NO on the 9th, and will assess everything then.
    Some things we just have to readjust for. But I do have to admit my problems are diminished by the stuff that's going on for the people whose homes and lives were totally disrupted. My dream has just been something for my post career years...I'm lucky. And again...thanks for your offer. Ain't no fat lady singing yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes, can't believe that happened!! geesh.

    ReplyDelete